The WIC Program offers breastfeeding support and management to prenatal and breastfeeding mothers. WIC staff is trained to speak with participants about the benefits of breastfeeding and to answer questions specifically related to breastfeeding. In addition, your local WIC offices offer various programs to create a positive breastfeeding experience. These include:
- Peer Counselor Program – Breastfeeding peer counselors are WIC moms who have experience breastfeeding. Peer counselors are available to meet with WIC participants to encourage and support their breastfeeding efforts throughout their entire breastfeeding experience.
- Breast Pump Program – Many WIC Programs offer breast pumps to WIC participants after assessing their specific needs. Hospital-grade pumps, manual breast pumps and single-user breast pumps may be available at your local WIC office. Please call that location for more information.
- Breastfeeding Support Groups – The group setting allows breastfeeding mothers to share their breastfeeding experiences and to support and encourage one another while nursing their children. In addition, prenatal mothers are invited to attend these sessions to learn about breastfeeding from other mothers and to ask questions in a safe and nurturing environment. All groups are guided by local agency WIC staff.
- BFREE: Breastfeeding Resiliency, Engagement, and Empowerment LIJ Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/BFREE.Coalition
- Baby cafe flyers: https://bit.ly/babycafeflyers
- "Caring for Two" prenatal class flyers: http://bit.ly/prenatalclassflyers
- Link to join on Microsoft Teams (same for baby cafe and prenatal class): https://bit.ly/bfreebabycafe